Out the EU...

Discussion in 'Politics, Philosophy, News, & Society' started by ItsBen, Jun 24, 2016.

1. ItsBen

ItsBen Well-Known Member

So, we're now going to be leaving the EU here in the UK....

What's your thoughts on this, personally when I saw the result at 6:30 this morning, it was disappointing. Jobs are going to be lost as well as the £ suddenly losing value as soon as the results were revealed... and there's just so many more problems as well...

Just to top it off here is Farage with some good news? Oh nope, he just lied about what was going to happen to the country

www.facebook.com/GMB/videos/1739363339653897/

Eigo (Luke), Oatmeal and Bella_Nicole like this.
  2. TichePotato

TichePotato Member

Yeah, our economy is pretty much screwed right now. Great. What I struggle to comprehend is that people chose to vote leave, even after being shown evidence of what was going to happen to us. To me, that's the worst part of it all - people wanted to break down our economy. It just makes no sense.

Eigo (Luke), Oatmeal and Bella_Nicole like this.
  3. Bella_Nicole

Bella_Nicole # Blame the Dutch!
    Retired Officer

I don't think your economy is screwed. Yes it will take a fall. But it wil crawl back up. England has lived without the EU for quite awhile. Before you guys were even born. The economy has to adjust back to the ways before the EU. I actually think it's not the worst thing that could have happend.. some politicians and the people here in the Netherlands wants a voting now too. The European Union isn't all rose and sunshine. We are dealing with the sanctions layed on us by Germany and France. Rules have been changed and the country isn't its own anymore. I do understand it's very difficult for some people to understand all this. But I remember what it was like before the EU. We had our own money. "De Gulden". Our country was our own and not being dictated by Merkel! If there was a voting here. I would say "Yes"

4. x_Mini_x

x_Mini_x Motivated Mini

Bella's right, it was just like before when Margret Thatcher was on the blink of Prime minister. Maybe it'll be stressful for a few months, especially now that David Cameron has resigned. But it always crawls back up, it just takes time to adjust to the new future that may lay upon us now.

5. ResonantStorm

ResonantStorm Member

What I think will happen is that Scotland, where I'm currently located, will go for another independence referendum, and, if they win, will then join the EU. That's what seems most likely - and from what I've heard, the SNP are already aiming for that.

Eigo (Luke) and Phoebe_ like this.
  6. ItsBen

ItsBen Well-Known Member

The problem is this is all ok for the older generation who will not be affected by this decision but for our generation, we don't have as much freedom in our careers, we can't go and get work experience in other EU countries easily. 75% of 18-24 year olds votes to stay because it gives the younger generation freedom. Problem is people who will be affected by this in a years time or so (me and other 16-17 year olds) did not get the chance to vote and share our opinions. I'm sure if we were able to vote then there would be a different result. Also leaving means that people working here from other EU countries may be forced to leave. Sounds good aye? No it isn't for some people especially if a company you own is in danger because the majority of workers come from another country in the EU.

What's more is the fact that the politicians that wanted the UK out straight up lied about what they would offer. For example that video earlier Farage said that the £350 million extra money the UK gets each week which he promised to use on social services before the referendum is now money that he says he cannot guarantee what even happens with it.

Bare in mind David Cameron compromised the deal in Brussels so that the UK would not be forced to use the Euro and other compromises to help keep the UK as traditional as possible

TichePotato and Eigo (Luke) like this.
  7. Phoebe_

Phoebe_ Well-Known Member

We left the EU and apparently we left our intelligence too :////////// People are so caught up on their 'british values' that they dont care about the economy falling off a cliff.

I think one of the worst thing to come out of the EU referendem is the change in Prime Minister - now i'm definitely not a supporter of David Cameron, but now we're either going to have Boris Johnson, a literal walking meme, or Michael Gove, who most students around the age of 14 can thank for royally destroying the GCSE system and removing the life saver that is coursework.
    As well as changes in attitudes to immigration, because immigrants are obviously not crucial to our economy.

-Political note from a slightly tipsy (and vv annoyed) phoebe

8. SneakyNinjaDog

SneakyNinjaDog The Doggiest of Ninjas
    Staff Member Sr. Cartographer

I am a little dissappointed that UK voted to leave. It is like the old brotherhood formed afterr WWII has ended... and a brother is leaving. Makes me a little sad :(

Eigo (Luke), Oatmeal and Phoebe_ like this.
  9. PeachyB

PeachyB Active Member

Ah, what a clever country we are. I've lived in London practically my whole life, and after 13 years, chances are I'm going back to Spain. Fun. But really, our economy is dropping at crazy speeds.

TichePotato and Phoebe_ like this.
  10. SneakyNinjaDog

SneakyNinjaDog The Doggiest of Ninjas
    Staff Member Sr. Cartographer

Yeah it turns out that all those "experts" that people are tired of listening to, might be right about the economic consequences... who knew :p

TichePotato likes this.
  11. joedi

joedi New Member

you cant barage the FARAGE

Snap and seaking like this.
  12. PeachyB

PeachyB Active Member

referendem