What is wrong with YouTube?

Discussion in 'Youtube Showcase' started by joleymoleyhunt, Sep 13, 2017.

1. joleymoleyhunt

joleymoleyhunt Well-Known Member

EDIT: Google bought YouTube in 2006, they made it better until around 2014 when they started to go downhill.

I know this isn't an upbeat, fun video but I really wanted to make it. It's been bugging me for almost a year now and I keep seeing people I watch and support slowly dissolve into thin air. YouTube really needs to sort their shit out because it's not only pissing me off, it's pissing other people off too.

I'll still be creating videos, since it is a hobbie and YouTube isn't going to spoil it for me.

The only advice I can give right now is support content creators you watch. It doesn't matter what it is, whether its only a view, sub or even a comment giving them support or feedback. It really does help.

SneakyNinjaDog likes this.
  2. SneakyNinjaDog

SneakyNinjaDog The Doggiest of Ninjas
    Staff Member Sr. Cartographer

Well, you raise some points that many many other youtubers have brought up.
    It all boils down to money really. The other points, while annoying (like the channel backgrounds) are just stuff people can live with.

From what I heard, youtube cut the add revenues down to like 1/3 of the old levels. Making it very hard for some youtubers to make a living doing it.

so, are we entitled to make a living from it? Maybe not. I mean no one is required to give you money - hopefully its a quid pro quo (something for something). Maybe youtube has done the math and the old levels were too high... or more likely they realized that youtubers are like artists - they will do it anyway even if you dont pay them properly. They just need a handfull of gold stories of people like Pewdepie who earns millions.. then the hopeful hordes will keep making material.

Many youtubers have moved a lot of their action to twitch or similar streaming services as a result. Because, like you imply, some people have based their economy on their job as content creators. And THAT is the danger for youtube. Because if the quality stuff moves elsewhere so will the viewers and the advertizers.

The battle goes on. The battle for the money and in that game the content creators are the small fish - infinitely smaller than a giant like youtube.